Thursday 18 February 2010

What have you learned from your main product and ancillary feedback?

Feedback was a vital part of my production as it allowed me to understand what other people thought of my work. Admittedly I gained a lot more audience feedback for my main production piece that for my ancillary tasks, and looking back this is something I would change if I were to do it again. However, I don't think that gaining less audience feedback for my ancillary tasks has hindered my work; not only did I gather and employ vast amounts of audience research before beginning production, throughout its production I frequently questioned my peers for their opinions on my work as it was being produce, mainly with concern to the digipack.
Throughout this coursework I have tried to gain and present feedback in a variety of different ways. During the post-production of my main product I received comments on my posts as well as verbal feedback within class and I responded to the main comments within this post. After my main production piece I was able to gather feedback by showing my work to each of the media classes in my school. This was done as a department effort and each persons work was screened and the classes response was filmed. In this post I created a film of some of the feedback that was gathered and I took it into consideration when editing my work and creating the final finished piece.
I have learned that it is useful to gauge how people see your work, by way of audience feedback, because even if you know why something is the way it is, some people see it other way and if it misunderstood by the majority sometimes you need to tweak it to make it more acceptable to an audience if consumption and business are the reason for creating a piece of work. For example it was said about my piece (to paraphrase) that they liked the bit of the music video where "the boy" was in the picture in picture but they would have liked it more if there was footage of him throughout the piece as well as he came and disappeared then came back. I took this point into consideration and thought that I could kill two birds with one stone (so to speak) as it had also been said that there was too much walking. So, when I re-edited my first finished piece I did more filming of "the boy" and interspersed his new scenes within the old scenes of "the girl" walking.
Both the positive and negative feedback was extremely useful overall with both the ancillary tasks and the main tasks. By carrying out audience feedback I was able to get a thorough knowledge of what an audience might see when they watch my video and to see what they might think works or doesn't work, rather than just seeing what I thought about it. This is a constructive way in which to see how the product can be further improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment